I'm so excited to have a few minutes to share how Brewer made his exciting entrance into our lives and how he's kept us on our toes ever since.
Saturday, Teton Valley and the rest of Eastern Idaho had a bad blizzard. Every road out of the valley was closed. I told Phil that Brewer better not come. Later that night, at 9:45, my water broke while I was in bed. I was not expecting my water to break, and as I rushed to the bathroom I started second guessing myself. I would say that Phil went into panic mode, and I was in some state of shock. Boyd on the other hand was thrilled. He was in bed (not sleeping yet) and Phil went in and got him. Phil said to Boyd, "We gotta go, baby Brewer's coming!"He jumped out of bed and was so thrilled that he got come with us. There was a sense of chaos and scrambling as we loaded up the car. Even as we were leaving I wasn't positive that my water had truly broken. We made a couple of phone calls and decided that maybe we would stop by the Driggs hospital to do a quick litmus test. They told us it was going to take an hour so we got up and left. While we were getting gas I was able to chat with my OBGYN on the phone and she told us to come straight to the hospital. Thankfully, even though it was still snowing and extremely windy, one road opened up and we able to make the hour and half drive to Idaho Falls. During the drive I started to believe a little more that my water had actually broken and even had a few very minor contractions. As we were pulling up to the emergency room entrance at EIRMC I knew for certain that my water broke. We made it just in time to save the car too because I lost a good portion of my water as I stepped into the parking lot. Awesome. We checked in and they took us to our room and ran some tests to make sure that my water broke. Although the nurse couldn't officially say that my water had broken until after the tests came back, she said she was very certain it had.
I badly wanted to get out of these clothes, but thought I should snag one last picture. Thank goodness my pants were black.
(Oh yeah, Boyd got a haircut)
Phil's Grandma and Grandpa Monson came and picked up Boyd shortly after we arrived, and Phil and I tried to settle in for the night. I was comfortable, not really having too many contractions that I could feel, but I still couldn't sleep. I was too anxious. Phil slept a few hours but he couldn't sleep well either, especially on the awesome hospital bed/couch. By 6:30 nothing had changed and I hadn't progressed so they started me on Pitocin. It seemed to move things along very quickly. By 8:30 I was feeling like I was about ready for my epidural. The nurse informed me that the anesthesiologist had just gone into the room next door and would be over right after, in about 15 minutes. About an hour later he still hadn't come over and I was starting to get a little freaked out. Phil was awesome! He helped me through the contractions and there may be quite a large bruise on his leg from me--sorry Phil. My nurse gave me a shot of morphine and that helped just enough to last me until I could get the epidural. The epidural went great and I felt immediate relief. About 45 minutes after I got the epidural I was completely dilated.
I did a couple of test pushes with the nurse while we waited for Dr. Huggins to arrive. She said he was going to come easily and that I was a good pusher. She was checking him the whole time we waited for the doctor to see how he was progressing during contractions, but the thought crossed my mind that she was holding him in (maybe that was the morphine talking). Once Doctor Huggins arrived we quickly got to pushing. After the first push I could feel we weren't too far away. She let me rest for a few minutes between pushes and then it only took one more (long) push and he was there. It was amazing and a lot more low key than when Boyd was born. I was able to hold him right away while they wiped him down and after a few minutes Phil cut the umbilical cord.
I remember thinking how great everything had gone and how wonderful I felt. The care and attention from the staff was incredible. The labor and delivery experience was so enjoyable. I wish that I could go back and do it over again. I wish that I could have those moments with Brewer back, the first time I saw him, the first time I got to hold him, the first time Phil got to hold him. I would do it over a thousand times. I am so grateful that everything went so smoothly and that it was such a sweet experience--I feel like that was one of the many tender mercies we've experienced so far.
Brewer Phillip Moulton
Sunday, February 26, 2012
11:16 a.m.
6 pounds 11 ounces
6 pounds 11 ounces
19 inches
Fairly quickly the nurse noticed that Brewer was grunting and while she wasn't too concerned she called a nurse, Heidi, from the NICU. She came over quickly and immediately started looking him over. She laid him on his back thinking that he just had fluid in his lungs. It wasn't very long before she decided that she wanted to take him to the regular nursery just to monitor him. After being there for a couple of hours Heidi decided that there were some tests that she wanted to run, just to be on the safe side and took him to the NICU.
After running some tests they informed us that Brewer had a heart murmur that was a result of a leak in his aortic valve. They thought that they could just monitor him there in Idaho Falls, but after consulting more with Dr. Jenkins (a neonatologist), who spoke with another neonatologist in Boise, they deiced that it would be better to send him down to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, "just to be on the safe side" if he needed any kind of surgery. It was a total whirlwind. But again, the staff was incredible. Dr. Jenkins kept us well informed and spent time discussing the condition with us. Heidi was just as concerned about Phil and I as she was about Brewer.
Much of Phil's family came immediately over to the hospital to give Brewer a blessing before he was life flighted with Phil to SLC. Grandpa Monson, Jill, Chris, Ken, Steve, Geri, & Steffani all came to show their love and support. We were all able to gather around Brewer in the NICU and Phil and Grandpa Monson gave him a Priesthood blessing. It was sweet and offered so much comfort. While they were finishing up preparing Brewer for transport, we call gathered back in my recovery room where Phil and I also received Priesthood blessings. It was scary for Phil and me. We were going to be apart for a short time. I was recovering from having had a baby just a few hours earlier and the idea of being alone was a little intimidating. But he was going with Brewer. No one knew what was going to happen and everything was still so unclear. He was going to be the one to face any problems. Thankfully, we have a great family and support. Phil's Dad was waiting for him at PCMC and Jill stayed the night in the hospital with me. Brewer and Phil made it safe and sound to PCMC around midnight. he was still stable, and everything looked great.
The next morning the team of doctors looked at Brewer's case. They did an echogram and we found out that they were debating between two different procedures to help his heart. The first (the one we were hoping for) involved inserting a catheter through his umbilical cord and using the balloon to enlarge his aortic valve. The reason that they weren't sure if they could do this procedure was because the left side of the heart was borderline too small. If it turned out that the left side was in fact too small, he would have to have open heart surgery. That was extremely hard news to take in, especially over the phone. It's a moment in my life that I will never forget. But at that point, we were still hopeful that we would be able to do the first procedure. The doctors told us that they were going to do another echogram and discuss the case again and make a final decision later that day.
Some of our AMAZING friends in the valley helped us get our car down to Idaho Falls. We asked them to go into our house, dig through all our drawers, pack some bags, and drive our car all the way down to Idaho Falls so Jill and I could drive down to SLC as soon as possible. Thank you Tiffany and Carlo for dropping everything to help us. I think I was so emotionally and mentally shocked that I moved so slow that morning. I did manage a shower and when Tiffany and Carlo arrived we were just ready to leave--it was perfect timing. Jill and I picked up Boyd from G&G Monson's and we headed to Salt Lake. I expected to hear from Phil. He texted me a few times but wouldn't answer my calls. I kept convincing myself that he just wasn't getting any reception in Brewer's room, but deep down I think I knew we would be hearing bad news. It was so good to see Brewer again. We arrived at PCMC around 3:30 and Steve took Boyd back to Provo for the evening. He looked really good. Healthy. Good color. And very comfortable. That was a change since he was in the NICU in Idaho Falls. After seeing him for a few minutes, Phil broke the news to us. I'm not really sure how to describe that moment. Surreal maybe. But very real at the same time. And heartbreaking. It's not something that you can process very easily. It's so painful to be looking at your sweet baby who is a day old and hear someone tell you that he's going to be having an extremely high risk surgery on such an important organ. After the initial shock wore off and as we were able to spend time with our baby boy I was able to feel a calm. The tears still came and went (and they still do) but this open heart surgery is our only option. It's his only chance. It's our only chance to be with him in this life.
The rest of that day is a blur. It was emotional and exhausting, but so good to be with Brewer. We have been extremely impressed with every single staff member we have worked with here at PCMC. It's been a joy to interact with Brewer's nurses. They are capable and care so much for Brewer and so much for Phil and me. They have this way about them. They are wonderful.
Tuesday was a great day. We were able to spend the morning with Boyd in Provo. My Mom came over and saw him and brought him a gift. He was excited about that. I was able to shower and then Phil, my Mom and I headed up to PCMC. The feelings we had at the hospital that day were wonderful. There weren't too many tears, and I felt joy. I got to sit by Brewer and hold his hand. At one point I was even able to hold Brewer. It was such a tender moment for me to finally be able to hold my little boy. After I had been holding him for a bit he decided he wanted to wake up a bit and open his eyes. Phil was able to hold him today and he did the same thing. After he had been holding him for fifteen minutes or so, he opened his eyes and looked at his Daddy. I think he recognizes us. I think it's his way of saying hi and telling us that he loves us. His way of telling us that he's strong and he's going to keep fighting. It's been another tender mercy. Maybe the best one.
We felt uplifted, encouraged, and hopeful on Tuesday. All along the way we have put our faith in Christ and that makes it easier, but the situation is still hard, emotional, and stressful. However, on Tuesday we didn't feel any of that stress. We felt peace. The peace that comes from the Comforter and our Savior. The peace that comes from the all the prayers that everyone has said in our behalf and in Brewer's behalf. That peace and calm that we felt on Tuesday gave us hope. Hope that not every day will be extremely hard and emotional. Hope that we'll find the joy in this process.
Tuesday evening our family (Phil, his parents, my mom, Amy, Steve, Rachel and I) gathered at a restaurant in SLC to begin our family fast. It was sweet to be all together. After dinner we all headed back to the hospital were we received special permission to all gather in Brewer's room. By this time of the day I was exhausted and feeling more emotional just from being tired (and maybe also from being in day three of recovery). We gathered around Brewer in his room and Phil gave Brewer his baby blessing. It was a neat experience. My Mom, Amy, and Rachel all took some notes of the blessing, and I'll be excited to go through them and write it all down.
Excited to hold Brewer
Saying Hi to Mom
Just before his blessing
Wednesday Morning before surgery.
Saying Hi to Dad
Just before surgery
In case you hadn't read the letter that Phil wrote, here it is. It contains more details of Brewer's condition.
Dear Family,
For those who don't know, Brewer was born at 11:16 am Sunday. We are thrilled he is here. Not long after he arrived, we started noticing that he was having a difficult time breathing and seemed to be working hard for each breath. To make a long story short, Brewer and I were life flighted to Primary Childrens late last night. My mom stayed in Idaho Falls with Jerai and they were able to come down this afternoon.
It's been a tough day for us here at Primary Childrens Medical Center. Brewer has been diagnosed with a rare condition called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS). 4 of 10000 newborns are diagnosed with this. It's a lot to explain, but basically the left side of his heart is dangerously underdeveloped. The left side of the heart is what pumps blood to the body, and the left ventricle isn't strong enough to pump blood to the body. The only way this is treated is by turning the heart from a 2 ventricle heart to a single ventricle system. This requires 3 different open heart surgeries. The first surgery is the most high risk (roughly 75% odds survival of surgery and recovery) and will take place Wednesday. It is a lengthy recovery but if Brewer can make it out of this first surgery, the success rate for future surgeries would greatly improve. At some point during his life however, the heart will begin to fail at which point he would need a heart transplant. That could be anywhere from 15-30 years. Brewer also has some kidney/bladder problems that the docs are monitoring and may require surgery at some point, but right now they are taking a back seat to his heart condition.
With this turn of events, we will be temporarily moving Jerai and Boyd back to Utah until Brewer is healthy enough to come home. I will be up in Driggs working Monday-Thursday, and will close the shop early in order to spend Thursday night-Sunday night in Utah.
While this has come as a big shock to us, there have been several instances along the way where the Lords hand has been evident. We are so grateful for this. While we would have never chosen this trial ourselves, we are learning to trust in and rely on the our Savior Jesus Christ. We have felt his love. What an enormous comfort it has been for us to know of the Plan of Salvation and the promise of eternal families.The outpouring of love and support we have received from family and friends has been tremendous. We deeply thank all of you for your everything. We have felt your prayers on our families behalf and can feel your love. We are optimistic that Brewer can get through this. He has a strong body and has been a fighter. All of his vitals have been good and his levels (heart rate, blood pressure, etc) have been excellent considering his condition. Now we are going to fight for him. We are very grateful to be at a world renowned childrens hospital that even has a cardiac ICU unit. We are very confidant in the care Brewer is receiving. Again, We love you all and thank you for your love and prayers.
Love,
Phil, Jerai, Boyd & Brewer



























